I love to try new workouts and am always looking for new at home circuits to try out.
I keep a notebook full of circuit workouts that I have found over the years.
Since Biggest Loser is back, Fitness Magazine featured some at home workouts from Allison Sweeney (host), Jillian & Bob. I receive their daily e-mails and I was thrilled to see a new at home workout to challenge me!
I decided to try out Allison Sweeney's Flat Abs Circuit last night and holy cow! It was hardcore!
The circuit was a total of 5 moves.
The instruction is do each move as many times as you can in 1 minute.
Use 5-10 lb dumbbells (I used 5 lb's)
I did the circuit three times and by the third time, my arms & legs were shaking!
I loved it so much I wanted to share it with you!
1. Jump Lunge and Curl
(targets shoulders, biceps, abs, butt & legs)
- Stand with dumbbells, arms by side, lunge or jump back with right leg as you curl your dumbbells to shoulders, palms facing each other. Step right leg forward to return to standing & punch forward with left arm, palm facing right. Lower arms to start & repeat this time lunging with left leg & punching with right arm.
2. Squat Military Press
(targets shoulders, arms, abs, butt & legs)
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides. Squat down & then stand up quickly bending elbow to bring dumbbells up in front of shoulders, palms facing forward. Immediately press arms straight overhead.
3. Sprawl to Overhead Lock
(targets back, shoulders, arms abs, butt & legs)
- Stand with feet hip-width apart holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides. Crouch down and holding onto dumbbells, placed them on floor shoulder-width apart with palms facing each other. Jump feet back to get in full plank position as you drive your core close to floor (without touching thighs to floor). Jump feet forward to outside of dumbbells overhead. Lower arms & return to start.
4. Sumo High Row
(targets back, shoulders, biceps, abs, butt & hamstrings)
- Stand in sumo squat position with hands with dumbbells in front of hips, palms facing in. Squat down then stand up quickly, driving bent elbow up above shoulder to bring dumbbells close to chin.
5. Push up to Plank Row
(targets back, triceps, biceps, chest & abs)
- Get in full plank position, a dumbbell in each hand with palms facing each other. Do a push up, returning to full plank. Immediately drive bent right elbow behind you (row) and repeat with left arm for 1 rep.
I absolutely loved this workout! It was hard but you feel the results each time you do the circuit. I did the circuit 3 times, which was only 15 minutes. I was dripping in sweat by the 3rd round and I am sore everywhere today! That shows me that was progress! I definitely plan to do this circuit again!
I have to be honest, I never ever used to want to do strength workouts. But since I have seen the results of doing the plankaday and squatathon, I want to get stronger and it only takes a little bit of time. 15 min a day, 2-3 times a week, it's amazing how quickly you will start the see the results! Oh it never hurts to plank every day!
What are your favorite strength moves?